Tuesday, January 04, 2011

January 4, 2011

The New Year did not start out being a happy time for us.  Travis’ health went downhill fast.  Even though Todd, Beth and the kids were here in Florida and we had planned to spend Disney time with them, we felt we could not leave Travis on December 31st and January 1st.  He had stopped eating, was having difficulty standing and was being given pain medication which seemed to help him rest.  The night of the 1st and early morning of the 2nd the pain medication was not helping and he was extremely restless and panting.  It was agony to see him in this condition and so we went to an emergency veterinary hospital where he was quietly put to final sleep.  It has not been an easy time for Tom or I as he was a very precious little dog to us.

Travis was born on July 5, 1997 and 7 weeks later he came to live with us.  We picked him out, actually he picked us, at a breeder’s in Pennsylvania.  As we rode home he found his way up to the back of my neck where he fell asleep.  He was all of 2.5 pounds and just a little white fuzz ball.  I was retired at this time and Tom was planning to retire the following year.  Our plans included travel and having Travis travel with us.  This is what pushed us into settling on a motorhome where Travis could be with us.  Our first trip was to Myrtle Beach, S.C. where Travis would run down on the beach stopping to dig in the sand but never going into the water.  He liked walks about campgrounds and when at home we all walked a 2 mile route most days up to about 9 months ago.   When camping with friends he liked to be around the campfire usually sitting on Tom’s or my lap.  In his younger years he loved going to Grandma and Pap’s- they would stop by the house and when they were ready to go home Travis would go along with them and then I would later go to bring him home.  There were a few non-motorhome trips that we made, in which Travis couldn’t go with us, where he stayed with Grandma and Pap.  When the time came that Grandma and Pap were unable to care for Travis we travelled only in the motorhome so he could be with us.  He spent one night in the care of  our groomer when Todd had his cardiac episode in 2008, this was the only time he spent with someone other than Grandma and Pap or us.  Travis travelled to many places- once down to Mexico and many places throughout the U.S. including twice to Alaska which included travel through Canada.  Travis was more than just a pet he was part of the family.  We are painfully missing our little buddy but feel he is at peace. 

Travis will always be in our hearts.  Rest in peace.  July 5, 1997-January 2, 2011