Thursday, December 30, 2010

Onto Florida 12/28-12/30/2010

On Tuesday, December 28th, we left Woodbine, Georgia and within a short time were in Florida.  The sun was bright but it was still chilly.  Temperatures were in the 20’s when we left Georgia but the warmth of the sun could be felt.  Travelling down Route 95 we decided to stop at the San Sebastian winery.  We had stopped here before and like the wines of this winery.  After taking part in a wine tasting we purchased some wine, ate a light lunch in the motorhome and then continued our travels.  We had reservations starting the 29th at a campground in Clermont so Tom called asking if possible could we come in a day earlier which was granted.  We spotted a restaurant prior to getting to the campground, Oakwood Smokehouse and Grill, in the Clermont area.  We had eaten and enjoyed the food at this restaurant in another town on a previous visit to Florida.  So that is where we had dinner and we were not disappointed in the food.  

Wednesday morning was still cold (upper 20’s) but warmer weather was on the way.  Today was Tom’s birthday, 65 years old.  Todd, Beth, Maddy, Anthony and Parker were flying down to Orlando on this day.  We transported a large suitcase full of their clothes to lessen the stuff that they had to bring.  In the afternoon we drove to the Holiday Inn that they were going to be staying to await their arrival.  Through text-messaging we learned that their plane was an hour late leaving the Washington area but they eventually made it.  Parker had been really good on his first airplane ride so we were told.  I had made reservations several weeks ago to celebrate Tom’s birthday at the Boma Restaurant at the Animal Kingdom Lodge for 4:30pm.  Tom and I took Maddy and Anthony with us to the Lodge, Todd and Beth with Parker were taking bus transportation.  We arrived at the lodge early so that we could see the animals that are in the grounds bordering the Lodge. Animal Kingdom Lodge Todd, Beth and Parker were taken to the Animal Kingdom Park and then had to get a taxi to get over to the Lodge.  Finally about 5pm we were all reunited together and sat down to a delicious buffet dinner.  The Boma restaurant food is African and full of tasty flavors.  After dinner we all squeezed into our car and we returned Todd’s family to the hotel and we went to our motorhome.

Thursday morning, the 30th, we all met up in the Magic Kingdom.  Beth had made reservations for a character breakfast at the Crystal Palace.Going to breakfast  Pooh Bear, Piglet, Eeyore, and Tigger made their rounds as we ate the tasty breakfast buffet. Parker meeting Pooh-- scary!!

Eeyore meets the kidsParker did not like those characters getting too close to him.  We had another celebration for Tom’s birthday- a cupcake and a birthday card signed by the characters were included.  We then walked about the park which was extremely crowded.On to Adventureland  Lines were long with long wait times.  Finally about 2:30pm we decided that had enough of this park and returned to our car.  We took Todd and his family to the Animal Kingdom but Tom and I returned back to the motorhome. (Our little buddy, Travis, has been deteriorating physically as we knew would happen with his health issues we have been dealing with.  We just feel fortunate that we are able to have him with us as we travel.)  It was warmer today as temperatures were in the 70’s.