Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Outer Banks of North Carolina

On Sunday the 3rd of May we left Greensboro, Md. and headed for the Outer Banks of North Carolina by way of the Chesapeake Bay Bridge and Tunnel to Virginia and then onto Waves, North Carolina. It was about an 8 hour trip, 300 miles, with stops. We had reservations at Ocean Waves Campground, a small well-maintained campground on the ocean. After the weekend of cool damp weather the warm sunshine made us get out the shorts and t-shirts for the week. The campground had free Wi-Fi but where we were located it was hit or miss with service so this posting was not able to be done until we got home.
On our trip down we discovered that we were infected with ticks, obviously from the campground in Greensboro. The bites caused me to have severe itching for much of the week. Tom's bites were not as problematic although we were concerned.
Our week was spent in a relaxing way. We did a walk on the beach everyday, had to keep up my cardio exercises. To go grocery shopping we had to go 13 miles south to Avon. Of course we ate out several times and had to go to Avon or north 20 miles or so to the Nags Head area.
One thing we found a little baffling was the inflexibility of the restaurants with their meal offerings. We had eaten a nice Salmon dinner at noontime at the motorhome and later that evening we went to a restaurant for supper. When we ordered a soup and a salad the waitress told us that was available only at lunchtime. When we said that we would go elsewhere the waitress did say that she would get the soup and salad as we requested. A family was there at this time with a teenage son that wanted a hamburger but it was not available except at lunchtime.
On Sunday, Mother's Day, we went to another really nice restaurant for dinner in the afternoon. I was surprised that there was a specfic lunch menu for the day that included sandwiches and a few full meals. I guess we have been spoiled by restaurants in this area offering a full menu for much of the day.
The Hatteras lighthouse is located about 30 miles south of Waves. We had not been to the relocated lighthouse so we went down and climbed the steps to the top, another workout! The museum had a video that ran for about an hour describing the relocation process.
All in all, we had a very nice relaxing warm week at the beach. When we arrived back home on Monday we were pulling out our long pants and sweatshirts- what a difference 300 miles makes. On Tuesday, Tom and I went to the doctor to have our tick bites checked out. So far nothing to b e alarmed about. It's interesting that Travis is able to be protected from Lime disease better than we are.