Thursday, October 31, 2013

Final Campout for the Year and a Trip to the Hospital- Thursday, October 31, 2013

We have been out in the motorhome once again.  A week ago we left home and went to Frederick for the fall Maryland Samboree.  There were 5 units from our Traveling Americans Good Sam chapter in attendance.  Unfortunately, one of the men had to have a trip to the hospital due to some heart issues and he did not get released until Monday.  The Samboree was the usual goings on with evening entertainment which was so-so.  There was a food vendor on site that had really good crab soup and according to others great crabcakes.  Our chapter put together a picnic basket (the theme of the Samboree was "Retro Picnic") that was judged (we were first place) and then raffled off with proceeds going to local food bank (a $100.00 bought the basket).
On Sunday we departed Frederick heading south to Whaleyville, Maryland, near Ocean City.  The Traveling Americans final campout for the year is the first weekend of November at Fort Whaley Campground so rather than go home for a few days we just decided  to spend the week there.  Tuesday Tom and I drove into Ocean City and walked the boardwalk.  We then stopped for lunch before returning to the campground. It was a nice day so once back at the motorhome Tom got out some chairs to sit outside.  We were reading books when Tom said that he was dizzy.  When the dizziness did not let up after a few minutes Tom got up, moved to the picnic table and began vomiting.  At that point I called 911 for an ambulance.  He was taken a short distance to Berlin, Md. to Atlantic General Hospital.  The dizziness and vomiting continued. A CT scan ruled out a stroke.  Medication was not effective so he was admitted. More medication was given to him and by the next day the vomiting was gone and dizziness was much better.  More testing- MRI, Doppler studies on the carotid arteries and and echo-cardiogram plus an review by a neurologist were done with nothing outstanding showing up.  The final thinking that it could have been an TIA  episode.  Late Wednesday afternoon Tom was discharged from the hospital with several prescriptions.  I was glad to have Tom back in the motorhome, being alone in the motorhome is a little lonely.  Another couple from TA have also been here for the week which was a comfort.
Today, Thursday, Tom has been taking things easy and resting.  More TA folks have come into the campground, including Larry and Joanne.  We have had offers of assistance to getting the motorhome home if need be- hopefully, we will not need to do that but it is a comfort to know help is available.