Monday, April 04, 2011

Saturday, April 2, 2011 Nappanee to Taneytown, Maryland

Friday morning a little past 7am the Newmar tech was at our motorhome door ready to take it for its water testing.  Tom and I went to downtown Nappanee for breakfast and then returned to the factory customer service center to wait for the return of our motorhome.  It wasn’t too long before the motorhome was returned and we were able to pay our bill and be on our way.  Thursday evening I question the tech about the charge for the roof leak and was told that there was only a 90 day warranty for a roof, needless to say we were disappointed in this as this was not the service provided by Newmar in the past.  When we paid the final bill our tech said that he further questioned about the roof and since it has not been a year we would not be charged for the roof repair and the inside ceiling repair, this is what we would have expected from Newmar- our faith in the company was renewed.  Before hooking up the car to move on, Tom drove to a propane dealer and had the tank filled.  It has been cold in Nappanee and during the night we keep the furnace on so we felt we were getting a little low on propane.  When he returned we hooked up the car and headed east to Fayette,Ohio, the home of Tom’s sister, Julie and her family.  Just before getting off the turnpike our tire monitoring system sounded an alarm that one of our motorhome tires on the rear duels was loosing air.  After exiting we found a gas station to pull off and Tom checked the tires to be sure there was indeed a problem.  He then asked about a tire repair facility and sure enough there was one (Hutch’s Towing and Recovery) in the opposite direction from which we were headed.   We turned around and a short distance away we found a truck repair facility and immediately someone went to work fixing the tire.  We were back on the road headed for Harrison Lake State Park, a very nice campground that is only a mile or so from Julie and Tim’s.  We got in set up and then Tom found the fixed(?) tire was leaking air at the valve stem extension.  So we tore down and returned to Hutch’s.  Again the tire was taken off the motorhome and the extension was put on before being mounted not afterward as was done the first time.  Back to Harrison Lake to set up again.  We went to Julie and Tim’s had a nice dinner with their family and visited for awhile.  A nice evening of catching up on family news.

Today Saturday we left Harrison Lake continuing on eastward.  It was cloudy most of the way through Ohio.  In Pennsylvania we thought at first the skies were lightening up but then we began seeing some dark clouds.  We stopped at a rest area north of Pittsburgh for lunch after traveling through some rain showers.  Leaving the rest area we again encountered rain showers but as we continued on the rain turned to snow.

The roads were wet, snow was not sticking to the roads but the hillsides were covered.  The snow fell harder as we traveled on, visibility at times was limited due to the snow fall. 

We hoped that when we went through the tunnel in the Somerset area that the snow would be stopped on the other end but that didn’t happen.  Finally the snow turned to rain again and before we hit the Bedford area the sun was shining and continued the rest of the way home.  It was a long trip today, about 500 miles and close to 10 hours, but it is good to be home.  We have driven the motorhome in snow more this trip  than we have all the times before.  I don ‘t think we will be taking this northerly route again at this time of the year if we can prevent it.